- Complete a prerequisite "ADA Basics" course.
- Complete 40 training credits approved for the Certification Program.
- Demonstrate mastery of content through an on-line examination.
- All requirements must be completed within three years of ADA Coordinator Training Certification Program registration. If you do not complete the requirements in that three year period you may ask to extend that period for one year. There is a $25 extension fee that will be assessed to extend the completion period.
- The ACTCP is not an on-line educational program, although many credits for the ACTCP may be obtained through online resources. Foundation credits that are not available as web courses may be obtained by attending the varied in-person conference options we provide each year. You may also obtain approval for classes offered though outside sources as well.
Prerequisite course providing a basic outline of the ADA..
The National ADA Symposium pre-conference "Basic ADA Overview" session will meet this requirement. The requirement may also be met by completing an on-line web course "ADA Basics".
Completion of 40 credits approved for the ACT Certification Program as outlined below:
Foundation Level—18 credits total (Description of Required Content for Training Topics)
Required Training Topics-12 credits
• Role of the ADA Coordinator (3 credits)
• Self Evaluation & Transition Plans (3 credits)
• 2010 Standards for Accessible Design (3 credits)
• Title I Guidelines (3 credits)
In addition, complete training on 2 of the topics listed below.--6 credits
• Effective Communications (3 credits)
• Emergency Preparedness (3 credits)
• Public Rights of Way (3 credits)
• Reasonable Accommodation (3 credits)
Training applied toward elective credits must cover a specific ADA related topic. Examples include "ADA and Higher Education” or "Recreation Accessibility Guidelines”. Applicants are not required to complete foundation credits before elective credits.
Electives must be completed from at least five of the categories listed below:
- Accessible Information Technology/Assistive Technology
- Accessibility Guidelines & Regulations
- Disability Community Issues
- Higher Education
- K-12 Education
- Title I: Employment
- Title II: Equal Access to Programs and Services of Public Entities
- Title III: Equal Access to Goods and Services
- Other Issues (Eg. Needs of Rural Communities, Travel & Hospitality)
- Judicial Access
Renewal of Certification
The ADA Coordinator Training Certification is valid for three years from the time it is issued. Registrants will have the opportunity to renew their certification at the end of the three year period. To qualify for renewal a registrant must:
- Complete a minimum of 10 credits within the 3 year period that the certification is valid. Credits must meet the same criteria as the Elective Credit categories.
- Remain an active member by paying a low $25 annual renewal fee.
- After initial renewal, 5 credits will be required for each year you wish to renew your certification.